If you’re planning to explore Morocco, two cities that should be on top of your list are Marrakech and Casablanca. book a 3 days tour from marrakech to merzouga. Both are filled with historic landmarks, stunning architecture, and bustling markets. While they are only about 240 kilometers apart, traveling between these two cities can be challenging, especially if you’re a first-time visitor. Fortunately, there’s a train service that can take you from Marrakech to Casablanca and back. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about the Marrakech to Casablanca train, from schedules and fares to tips and tricks to make your journey more comfortable. read about What is a Tannery?.
Table of Contents
- Why Take the Train from Marrakech to Casablanca?
- Overview of the Marrakech to Casablanca Train
- Types of Trains
- Marrakech Train Station
- Casablanca Train Station
- Train Schedule and Duration
- Ticket Prices and Classes
- What to Expect During the Train Journey
- Tips for a Comfortable Train Journey
- Things to Do in Casablanca
- Things to Do in Marrakech
- Final Thoughts
Morocco is a fascinating country to visit, with its rich history, diverse culture, and stunning natural landscapes. Marrakech and Casablanca are two of the most popular cities to visit in Morocco, offering unique experiences and attractions. Traveling between these two cities can be challenging, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the transportation system. However, taking the train from Marrakech to Casablanca is a convenient and comfortable option, allowing you to sit back and enjoy the scenic views along the way. read about Marrakech Desert Tours.
Why Take the Train from Marrakech to Casablanca?
Traveling by train is one of the best ways to explore Morocco, especially if you’re visiting for the first time. Here are some reasons why taking the train from Marrakech to Casablanca is a great idea:
- Comfortable and convenient: The train ride from Marrakech to Casablanca is comfortable, with air-conditioned coaches and comfortable seats. The journey takes around 3 hours, allowing you to relax and enjoy the views.
- Affordable: The train fare from Marrakech to Casablanca is relatively cheap, making it an affordable option for budget travelers.
- Scenic views: The train journey takes you through some of the most scenic parts of Morocco, including lush green fields, rolling hills, and picturesque towns and villages.
- Time-saving: Taking the train from Marrakech to Casablanca is much faster than traveling by bus or taxi, which can take up to 5 hours or more, depending on traffic and road conditions.
Overview of the Marrakech to Casablanca Train
The Marrakech to Casablanca train is operated by ONCF (Office National des Chemins de Fer du Maroc), the national railway company of Morocco. The train journey covers a distance of about 240 kilometers and takes around 3 hours, depending on the type of train and stops along the way.
Types of Trains
There are three types of trains that operate on the Marrakech to Casablanca route:
- TNR (Train Navette Rapide): This is the fastest train, with limited stops along the way. It takes around 2 hours and 30 minutes to travel from Marrakech to Casablanca.
- TER (Train Express Regional): This is a regional train that stops at several stations along the way. It takes around 3 hours to travel from Marrakech to Casablanca.
- Train Grande Ligne: This is a long-distance train that stops at major stations along the way. It takes around 4 hours to travel from Marrakech to Casablanca.
It’s important to note that not all types of trains operate on the route every day, so it’s best to check the train schedules before booking your tickets.
Marrakech Train Station
The Marrakech train station is located in the city center, near the Medina and the Koutoubia Mosque. It’s a busy station, with several trains departing and arriving throughout the day. The station has all the necessary facilities, including ticket counters, waiting rooms, restrooms, and snack bars. There’s also a luggage storage facility if you need to store your bags while exploring the city.
Casablanca Train Station
The Casablanca train station is located in the city center, near the Casa Voyageurs mosque and the Royal Palace. It’s a large station, with several platforms and train services operating throughout the day. The station has all the necessary facilities, including ticket counters, waiting rooms, restrooms, and snack bars. There’s also a luggage storage facility if you need to store your bags while exploring the city.
Train Schedule and Duration
The train schedule from Marrakech to Casablanca varies depending on the type of train and the day of the week. Generally, there are several trains departing from Marrakech throughout the day, starting from early morning until late evening. The journey takes around 3 hours on average, but this can vary depending on the type of train and any stops along the way.
Ticket Prices and Classes
The train fare from Marrakech to Casablanca varies depending on the type of train and class you choose. The TNR is the most expensive train, while the TER and Train Grande Ligne are more affordable. There are several classes to choose from, including first class, second class, and economy class. First class offers more comfortable seats and more space, while second class and economy class are more basic but still comfortable. Prices start from around 80 MAD for economy class and can go up to 200 MAD or more for first class.
What to Expect During the Train Journey
The train journey from Marrakech to Casablanca is a scenic one, passing through some of Morocco’s most beautiful landscapes. You’ll see lush green fields, rolling hills, and picturesque towns and villages along the way. The train ride is comfortable, with air-conditioned coaches and comfortable seats. There are also snack bars on board, where you can buy food and drinks.
Tips for a Comfortable Train Journey
Here are some tips to make your train journey from Marrakech to Casablanca more comfortable:
- Book your tickets in advance to ensure availability and lower prices.
- Arrive at the train station early to avoid any last-minute rush.
- Choose the right class that suits your budget and comfort level.
- Bring snacks and drinks for the journey, especially if you have dietary restrictions.
- Pack a book or download movies or shows to keep you entertained during the journey.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as the train ride can be long.
Things to Do in Casablanca
Casablanca is a vibrant and bustling city, with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some of the top attractions to visit:
- Hassan II Mosque: This is one of the largest mosques in the world, and a stunning example of Moroccan architecture. Guided tours are available, and visitors can also attend the daily call to prayer.
- Old Medina: The historic old town of Casablanca is a maze of narrow streets and alleys, filled with traditional Moroccan houses, shops, and restaurants. It’s a great place to explore and soak up the local culture.
- Rick’s Cafe: This famous cafe was inspired by the film “Casablanca” and is a must-visit for fans of the movie. It’s also a great spot for a meal or a drink, with a beautiful interior and a terrace overlooking the sea.
- Corniche: This coastal promenade is a popular spot for a stroll, with great views of the sea and the city skyline. There are also several cafes and restaurants along the way.
- Royal Palace: This impressive palace is the official residence of the king of Morocco. Visitors can’t enter the palace itself, but can admire the exterior and the beautiful gardens.
Overall, the train journey from Marrakech to Casablanca is a comfortable and scenic way to travel between these two popular Moroccan cities. With several types of trains and classes to choose from, there’s something to suit every budget and comfort level. Along the way, you’ll see some of Morocco’s most beautiful landscapes and enjoy a relaxing ride with all the necessary facilities on board.
How long does it take to travel from Marrakech to Casablanca by train?
The journey takes around 3 hours on average, but this can vary depending on the type of train and any stops along the way.
What types of trains operate on the Marrakech-Casablanca route?
The TNR, TER, and Train Grande Ligne are the main types of trains that operate on this route.
How much does a train ticket from Marrakech to Casablanca cost?
The ticket price varies depending on the type of train and class you choose, with prices starting from around 80 MAD for economy class.
Are there any facilities on board the train?
Yes, there are facilities like snack bars, restrooms, and luggage storage available on board the train.
What are some things to do in Casablanca?
Some of the top attractions in Casablanca include the Hassan II Mosque, the Old Medina, Rick’s Cafe, the Corniche, and the Royal Palace.